DIY Reef Safe Sunscreen

I have been on the lookout for an organic, reef and water safe sunscreen for so long now, and I have FINALLY found a homemade recipe that works for me and that is not too expensive!

I can make it zero-waste, with the exception that I ordered the Zinc Oxide from Amazon but at least it came in a recyclable bag.
I can't say 100% for sure that the bag is actually going to be recycled, but the good news is that you really don't need a lot of this stuff, so it will last a really long time at least.

As for the base, I just used some body lotion that I was gifted for Christmas, but next time I am going to my local refill store and getting some organic, all natural lotion. They let you bring your own jar and fill it up!

I personally tried this recipe thinking that I could omit the cocoa powder, but trust me, you want at least a little bit in there. The Zinc Oxide leaves a slight white tint to your skin, and the cocoa power just helps make it look more skin colored rather than pasty white.
I promise regardless you're not going to look like a ghost, but if you look closely in the mirror after applying it, you'll know what i'm talking about.

What you will need:
  • 1 cup body/face lotion 
  • 4 tbsp of Zinc Oxide (non-nano for reef safe)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
*Please note that I have a very light skin color so if you have darker skin than me you will want to add some more cocoa powder. Start with a little and test it on your arm to see the color results. 

Directions:
Mix the Zinc Oxide into the lotion slowly, then sift the cocoa powder into it to avoid lumps.


There are many other ingredients that you can find online to add more SPF, but I have very sensitive skin and I haven't found that to be necessary. Whatever you choose to add, please keep it reef safe, even if you are not near the oceans! Our ecosystem depends on this greatly.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Low Waste?

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (Vegan)

Homemade Hemp Milk