Vegan Tofu Feta

With today's lactose intolerance craze and veganism on the rise, I felt it was really important to share how to make vegan feta. Feta was one of the things I missed the most.

Although the texture is not the exact same, it's pretty darn close. I find that the longer I stay vegan for, the less I remember what animal products taste like.
I tend to compare the vegan alternatives less to the animal product which makes me enjoy them much more.
The longer I stay vegan, the easier it becomes to enjoy all the food I eat, and it feels so much better to eat too because it's so much healthier, and there is no guilt attached.

This tofu feta has a few steps, so you will want to make it a day in advance from when you actually want it, but it stores in the fridge for about a week as well.




Ingredients:

  • 4 oz of extra firm tofu
  • 4 tbsp salt 
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 2 cups water
Directions: 
Drain and squeeze the tofu in a tofu press for about an hour. If you don't have a tofu press, you can put in on a plate with a cloth underneath it, and place another plate on top with a heavy item to press down the tofu.
After, place in a freezer safe bag and put in the freezer for at least 12h. 
After 12h, leave out at room temperature to thaw with a cloth underneath to absorb any excess liquids. 
Once it's fully thawed, cut into small feta sized cubes, and put in a bowl with the water, vinegar and salt. 
Carefully mix around to distribute the salt and then cover and place in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
Finally, take it out of the fridge, pat it dry with a cloth, and enjoy! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Low Waste?

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (Vegan)

Homemade Hemp Milk